Welcome to the School Council page! Visit this page to stay up to date on all School Council meetings, news, events, and more! If you want to learn more about what the School Council is all about… scroll down.
That’s a wrap on the year! Thank you to all our volunteers! Here is how we did…
- 3 Principals
- 8 School Council Meetings
- 40 families at our virtual family fun night
- 80 Artists for paint night
- 120 mini donuts served for teacher appreciation
- 200 meeting attendees
- 340 JR Wilcox t-shirts distributed
- 500 attendees at our end-of-year event
- 1200 slices of pizza served
- $10,420 raised from our silent auction
- $350,000 committed to our outdoor playground
Our first meeting back will be on Tuesday, Sept 20th at 7pm. We’ll be voting for the 2022/2023 Executive Team. If you would like to be a voting member, you MUST nominate yourself as a voting member and attend all school council meetings.
Happy a safe and happy summer!
We are asking every family that is able to, to consider donating some funds to support our kids. The money will be used to buy STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) materials, technology for the school, classroom resources, art supplies, gym equipment, arts programming and more! Any donation over $10 gets a tax receipt! Know someone looking to give back this holiday season? Do you have a donation matching program at your work? DONATE HERE!
DOMINOS PIZZA DEAL
Order two large pizzas and cheesy bread for $26.99 and $5 from every order will go back to our school! Just let them know you are ordering the JR Wilcox deal. This offer is valid year-round at Dominos on Oakwood (354 Oakwood Ave).
If you shop online, then you can use FLIPGIVE to earn a % of your purchases that goes directly to our school at no cost to you! To date, we have earned over $1500. Join our FLIPGIVE team today! Use CODE 45DBLW to join our team.
With every purchase of Mabel’s Labels, you can earn money back for our school. Find our school name on their website before you start shopping. Use code WILCOX10 to get 10% off your purchase!
Stock the Pantry!
The community pantry is located at the corner of Ava Rd and Winnet. This pantry supports those in and outside of our school community. It’s as easy as adding an extra nonperishable item to your grocery cart every week. See a list of the most needed items.
Frequently Asked Questions About School Council:
What is the goal of School Council?
- Our goal with the School Council is to offer parents/caregivers a variety of ways to share their voices, knowledge, and expertise
- Recognize that relationship building is key to breaking down walls and barriers
- Strive to identify and eliminate barriers to participation for parents/caregivers
- Disrupt practices that contribute to oppression based on race, class, nationality, abilities, gender, education, or language
What do you discuss at School Council Meetings?
- We hear from the teachers and our principal on what is top of mind for them. We then discuss activities we think the kids could benefit from – everything from reading groups to after school activities to speakers we think we should bring in!
What kind of a time commitment is council?
- We meet on the last Tuesday of every month from 7:00 – 8:30 pm virtually. If you want to be a voting member, you must attend all meetings. If you are on council, you can expect about 3 hours a month of work. This can include meeting other council members and principal to drive initiatives forward, reaching out to the community to secure resources/speakers for the school, and attending the meetings,
- Our council meetings are open to all parents, guardians, and community members. They happen on the last Tuesday of every month school is in session.
- Would you like to add something to the agenda? Have questions or ideas? Email your School Council 2021/2022 Chair Ronit.email@example.com
Do I have to vote if I’m on council?
- If you want to vote, you MUST nominate yourself as a voting member and ATTEND all school council meetings
- Alternatively, you can be part of council and be a listener and observer
- Every member of the parent/caregiver community is able to be part of the council!