Welcome to the School Council page! Visit this page to stay up to date on all School Council meetings, news, events, and more! If you want to learn more about what the School Council is all about… scroll down.
Updated: May 24th, 2023
May 30th: Last School Council Meeting of the Year Our last School Council meeting of the year will be on Tuesday, May 30th at 7pm. See the proposed agenda below. If you would like to add something to the agenda, please contact email@example.com by Monday, May 29th at 5pm.
Meeting Zoom: https://tdsb-ca.zoom.us/j/9450133770?pwd=VC9YeGZYZmtHWTRDWEVmTTd2NFdJZz09
Save the Date: JR Wilcox Howl is Back: On Thursday, June 15th, the community is invited to join the JR Wilcox Howl from 4:30pm to 7:30pm; a chance to connect, have fun and celebrate the end of the school year! Thank you to Maria Tsfaras for leading.
Want to get involved with the Howl? We need volunteers! Join the planning meeting on May 25th at 7:45pm
Zoom Details: https://tdsb-ca.zoom.us/j/94972121195
Get Involved Next Year! Looking to give back to the school community? See the positions and committees available for next year here. Any amount of time you have to volunteer is welcomed. Get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Movie Night was a Hit! Over 300 people came to our movie night last week! Thank you to Rosanne Brown and Alex Howard for leading the event and all the volunteers!
Staff Appreciation: Last week we celebrated our amazing staff with breakfast and snacks. Thank you to Laura Johnson for leading and the volunteers who supported!
Bylaws: Thank you Rosanne Brown for leading the updated Bylaws. See the updated Bylaws below
Get in touch if you are seeking ways to get involved. We especially need more gender and ethnic diversity in those attending the meetings and volunteering, if that is you, please consider getting involved. Reach out to email@example.com
Lunch Lady orders are due every Thursday for Monday’s lunch
Mark Your Calendars!
- May 25th – Howl Volunteer Meeting
- May 26th – Pizza Day (Last one of the year!)
- May 30th – School Council Meeting (Last one of the year!)
- June 15th – The Wilcox Howl – afterschool event for all families in the community!
Did you know you can donate directly to our school? Does your company have a donation matching program? Consider making a tax-deductible donation to our school! Donate here
With every purchase of Mabel’s Labels, you can earn money back for our school. Find our school name on their website before you start shopping. Use code WILCOX10 to get 10% off your purchase!
Frequently Asked Questions About School Council:
What is the goal of School Council?
- Our goal with the School Council is to offer parents/caregivers a variety of ways to share their voices, knowledge, and expertise
- Recognize that relationship building is key to breaking down walls and barriers
- Strive to identify and eliminate barriers to participation for parents/caregivers
- Disrupt practices that contribute to oppression based on race, class, nationality, abilities, gender, education, or language
What do you discuss at School Council Meetings?
- We hear from the teachers and our principal on what is top of mind for them. We then discuss activities we think the kids could benefit from – everything from reading groups to after school activities to speakers we think we should bring in!
What kind of a time commitment is council?
- We meet on the last Tuesday of every month from 7:00 – 8:30 pm virtually. If you want to be a voting member, you must attend all meetings. If you are on council, you can expect about 3 hours a month of work. This can include meeting other council members and principal to drive initiatives forward, reaching out to the community to secure resources/speakers for the school, and attending the meetings,
- Our council meetings are open to all parents, guardians, and community members. They happen on the last Tuesday of every month school is in session.
- Would you like to add something to the agenda? Have questions or ideas? Email your School Council 2021/2022 Chair Ronit.firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I have to vote if I’m on council?
- If you want to vote, you MUST nominate yourself as a voting member and ATTEND all school council meetings
- Alternatively, you can be part of council and be a listener and observer
- Every member of the parent/caregiver community is able to be part of the council!
You must be logged in to post a comment.